Re: SVG 1.2 - SvgWindow And SvgDocument

"Sigurd Lerstad" <sigler@bredband.no> wrote in message
news:00e101c2a16f$76d27120$451273d5@mmstudio...

> I may not be the correct person to answer this, but I have an opinion,

Good, everyone should give their opinion, the most input possible is a
good thing.

> What I think the WG is doing is trying to standardize the window
interface
> which already exist in all HTML UAs,

The WG have no control over HTML UA's or what interfaces they provide,
they very much should not be standardising this.

>I think there should be one common
> window interface for all xml documents, html,svg, etc.

Perhaps (I think not, what hosts a document isn't always the same),
however the SVG WG is not the right group to do this, the W3 would need
to charter a group specifically for this IMO, what's right for SVG isn't
necessarily right for other XML Docs.

> Personally, I don't think that the Document interface should have a
window
> property, since this implies that there can only be one window per
document,

In what scenarios can a Document be in more than one window, I'd be
interested in seeing your situation?  I take a "window" to be the
container that the document is rendered in.

[My View]

>>Here are a couple problems we are having:
>>
>>1) What is the root object of an SVG object?  Is it the SvgDocument? or
>>the SvgWindow? or something new?

It remains the SvgDocument, that's the only constant across all different
SVG uses, and it's what is compatible with other XML document formats.
The SVG DOM is used in many places where no window interface is provided
(when generating it on a server for example, there is a document context,
but as there's no rendering context a window is obviously irrelevant.)

>>IMHO we need something like a SvgDocumentFragment
>>which is associated with a SvgWindow.

I have a problem with this view, I would say, that with SVG within
another document, the SvgWindow doesn't exist, what would innerHeight and
innerWidth be in this situation (we don't even know the viewport would be
rectangular for example, let alone its size)?  The defaultStyleSheet
attribute is also presumably intended to overcome problems the problems
with not knowing what that stylesheet is, but that doesn't help in a
mixed namespace document since you don't know what other CSS rules are
coming down from the other namespace.  I think having svgWindow outside
of viewers of SVG Documents is too problematic.

Jim.