Re: foreignObject

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:51:57 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Jon,

> Here is a snippet from the SVG spec:
>
> ---
> Usually, a 'foreignObject' will be used in conjunction with the 'switch'
> element and the requiredExtensions attribute to provide proper checking
> for user agent support and provide an alternate rendering in case user
> agent support is not available.
> ---
>
> The model is that something other than native SVG is going to render
> onto a virtual rectangle on the SVG canvas. The conceptual model is that
> of an optional plugin, but actual implementations might indeed be
> monolithic.

Ah OK; I guess I misunderstood you, and thought that with
   "[...] which says which "plugin" to the SVG user agent will parse the
   contents of the foreignObject and produce a rendering based on those
   contents."
you meant vendor specific mechanisms, or stuff specifiying which
implementation is required (vendor/product wise, not feature wise).

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/