Re: proposal for this link/tspan discussion

"John Hayman" <JHayman@rim.net> wrote in message
> The reason we don't like <a> is that on devices that don't have
pointing
> devices (i.e. phones, Blackberry, -- and even Palm because it doesn't
have
> "mouseover", in other words everything but PocketPC :-)) it is
difficult to
> indicate that there is a "clickable" link.

Er, why is that? I don't understand that at all, there's lots of ways of
showing that something is a link that don't rely on a mouse, and don't
see anything wrong with your solution with the "tabbing" - which is
something the SVG spec needs to address in any case.).  There's probably
different ways of highlighting the current link than the fake cursor, but
that depends on the device.

> Gives complete control to the content
> developer.  There's only one problem:  there is no animation that means
> "load a new document".

At the expense of  limiting the document to certain kind of SVG
viewers...

> So my less radical suggestion is to deprecate <a>, introduce a new
element
> like our "<loadScene>" and encourage people to use SVG events.

I don't like the idea that requiring dynamic viewers is useful in SVG.

Jim.