Re: [SVG1.0] no tspan allowed inside an anchor?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:43:59 -0000
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

"Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
> Jim Ley wrote:
>

> > What I've never fully understood is the motivation for tspan anyway,
this
> > wouldn't be an issue if tspan didn't exist (and instead text could be
> > child of text.)  The difference in allowed attributes is minimal, and
> > can't see anything obvious which would prevent this.
> >
> > So what is the motivation for the existence of tspan?
>

> I can't answer this, since I didn't design the DTD, but from my usage
POV:
> In 1.0, one block of text gets represented as text, and lines as
tspans.
> In ASV, you can select one block of text; if you don't use tspans, you
> can only select one line.

Yes, but that's just a minor change to the text selection rules (select
all text contents of the outer text element.) it's not something that
motivates the need for tspan:

Would seem to be identical to:

if that was allowed, and avoids the problem we have with a
(although I'm not sure what dx/dy mean on the text element.)

Jim.