RE: Include SVG in future Mobile Services Guidelines

Hi Jörg,

   Thank you very much for your response.

At 19:45 +0200 2001-09-13, Kramer, Jörg, VF-VP wrote:
>I don't know SVG but I know SMIL which will be used as the presentation
>format in MMS (Multimedia Messaging) in 3GPP standards and is referenced in
>M-Services V1. If you could provide me with some high level info ...

   Adobe Systems offers an excellent high level overview of SVG, with
a great many examples, at:

   http://www.adobe.com/svg/

and also provides links to a large number of SVG-related Websites,
among these the page for the W3C's SVG 1.0 recommendation, at:

   http://www.adobe.com/svg/community/external.html

   Adobe claims that one of SVG's strengths is that "graphics created
in SVG can be scaled without loss of quality across various platforms
and devices."  For instance, this would at least potentially allow
SVG images to initially be created for devices with somewhat larger
displays and then to be arbitrarily scaled to fit on PDA or mobile
phone screens while retaining considerable image quality.

   In addition, when using a PDA, mobile phone, or similar device, it
might be possible to pan a larger SVG image and then zoom in on
particular parts of the image.  One might imagine, for instance,
navigating one's way around a street map, viewing only highways and
major roads, and then 'diving in' on the minor streets in a
particular neighborhood.  Another possibility might be zooming in or
out on parts of a schematic diagram used when repairing or replacing
a part in a machine.  Existing diagrams could be be transmitted
unmodified to mobile phone users and thus might still conceivably be
usable, in at least some instances, on such devices.

   The Apache XML Project's "Batik" SVG document browser offers a
number of such capabilities.  One closely-related feature is its
display of a "thumbnail" of the overall image, which can be used for
orientation and navigation when one has zoomed in on a small portion
of the image.

   http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgviewer.html#zooming

   Also, because SVG images are expressed as XML documents, they can
be modified interactively by programs or scripts.  This capability
might also be tremendously advantageous in certain mobile
applications.

>Currently the GSMA is defining the scope of M-SERVICES V2 which of course
>shall include innovative new features. E.g. Java MIDP NG will be added. New
>Java Class Library Extensions that enable 2D and 3D animations and games
>will have to be considered as well (see J-Phone).

   Just to be clear, are you stating, then, that SVG might be
considered for inclusion in M-Services V2 recommendations?

   Also, is there any likelihood that SVG might also be incorporated
in a future iteration of V1, as well, or are the V1 recommendations
already frozen?

>Just to clarify the approach of the GSMA. GSMA does not write standards but
>provides a recommendation, guideline and  framework document with references
>to standards and protocols in order to ensure the end-to-end user experience
>and to ensure interoperability of services. Referenced standardization
>bodies are e.g. 3GPP, WAP Forum, W3C IETF, ...

   Understood:  the GSMA produces recommendations, guidelines, and
framework documents for its members, but does not develop standards.

   However, does the GSMA also provide comments to the types of
standardization bodies you named to ensure that its requirements are
reflected in their specifications, or does it relegate this role to
its members?

   If the former, I'd like to highlight what Jon Ferraiolo mentioned
in his earlier message:  "now is a perfect time to send in a list
[of] what the GSM feels it needs from Mobile SVG."

   According to the W3C working drafts Jon cited, below, the GSMA's
comments can likely be sent to <www-svg2-comments@w3.org>.

Very best wishes, and thanks again,
Aron

Aron Roberts  Workstation Software Support Group . 221 Evans Hall
               University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3808 USA
               aron@socrates.berkeley.edu . +1 510-642-5974 . fax 510-643-5385