Re: HELP - SVG - HTML - UNIX

Steve,
If you are considering deploying the Adobe SVG Viewer, then here is the
status regarding scripting.

WIth the soon-to-be-released version 3 Adobe SVG Viewer  (ASV) plugin:, you
have two scripting options: (a) the  browser JavaScript scripting engine,
or (b) the internal JavaScript engine that is included in the ASV.

Using the browser scripting engine allows for integrated scripting between
HTML and SVG. With ASV version 3:

Windows - On both NN and IE, you can script HTML and SVG together such that
HTML scripts can modify the SVG, and SVG scripts can modify the HTML. Note:
If you want JavaScript that will work with NN4+HTML+SVG, then some
attributes require getter and setter setting functions due to limitations
with NN4. (I don't believe scripting works with Opera.)

Mac - With NN, you can script HTML and SVG together, with the same
getter/setter note as above. Mac/IE however does not provide scripting
engine access to plugins. Thus, you cannot script HTML and SVG together and
make it work with Mac/IE.

UNIX - The Adobe SVG Viewer does not currently run on any UNIX platforms.
Will this change in the future? Maybe. But for the moment, you have to
assume that UNIX is not supported by the ASV.

Using the internal JavaScript engine within the ASV, you can write scripts
that will work the same on all supported platforms and browsers. However,
you can't integrate HTML scripting with SVG scripting -- the scripting only
works on the SVG content.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated