Re: Adobe don't support SVG fonts...

At 11:56 AM 11/26/01 +0000, alexis wrote:

>Bug #2
>
>When using CEF fonts. The pen is not advanced the correct amount as
>specified by the advance widths in the font making the dx="x, y z"
>attribute COMPLETELY USELESS for making exact adjustments to inter
>character spacing. And instead the only way to exactly position glyphs is
>to give the x and y coordinate for each one, resulting in nasty large files.

Alexis,
I'll only comment on your complaint about 'dx'.

There are scenarios where 'dx' as currently specified provide value to
content developers, so I wouldn't go as far as agreeing with you that 'dx'
and 'dy' are completely useless, but I would agree that in some common
scenarios these attributes don't help much.

For your needs, an alternative you can consider is to put a 'transform'
attribute on the <text> element to reset the origin of the coordinate
system to the start position of the first character, and then use 'x' and
'y' attributes instead of 'dx' and 'dy'. By resetting the origin, then 'x'
and 'y' values might take as few characters as what you were hoping to have
with 'dx' and 'dy'.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG 1.0 Editor
jferraio@adobe.com