Re: SVG

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:07:27 EST
To: www-svg@w3.org, alexis.farmer@ingenta.com
In a message dated 23/11/01 17:37:45 GMT Standard Time, lofton@rockynet.com
writes:

> >Why does the dx="a b c d" not OVERRIDE the advance widths in the font file
> >and instead just add to them. If you could be sure that the SVG viewer was
> >using the exact same advance widths as specified by the font it wouldn't
> >be a problem, but of course I have found in practice that it doesn't
> >therefore you never know exactly where the pen is and a cumulative error
> >is introduced (sometimes quite large)

Alexis,

The dx and dy describe the *difference* in x or y positioning. This is
extremely useful when creating scrolling text windows. You can create a
single <text> or <tspan> with x and y attributes and all the others with dy.
Then when you animate the first element's y attribute the whole text scrolls
nicely.

I have described the technique in more detail in Designing SVG Web Graphics
published by New Riders.

http://www.newriders.com/books/title.cfm?isbn=0735711666

Which widths were you referring to as being specified by the font?

If you are seeking technical discussion of SVG you may want to take a look at
the SVG-Developers mailing list on YahooGroups.com:
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SVG-Developers

I hope that helps.

Andrew Watt