From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:07:27 EST
To: www-svg@w3.org, alexis.farmer@ingenta.com
In a message dated 23/11/01 17:37:45 GMT Standard Time, lofton@rockynet.com

> >Why does the dx="a b c d" not OVERRIDE the advance widths in the font file
> >and instead just add to them. If you could be sure that the SVG viewer was
> >using the exact same advance widths as specified by the font it wouldn't
> >be a problem, but of course I have found in practice that it doesn't
> >therefore you never know exactly where the pen is and a cumulative error
> >is introduced (sometimes quite large)

The dx and dy describe the *difference* in x or y positioning. This is
extremely useful when creating scrolling text windows. You can create a
single <text> or <tspan> with x and y attributes and all the others with dy.
Then when you animate the first element's y attribute the whole text scrolls

I have described the technique in more detail in Designing SVG Web Graphics
published by New Riders.

Which widths were you referring to as being specified by the font?

If you are seeking technical discussion of SVG you may want to take a look at
the SVG-Developers mailing list on YahooGroups.com:

I hope that helps.

Andrew Watt