Streaming animation with SVG

From: Michael Foster <foster@PacketVideo.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:09:28 -0700
To: www-svg@w3.org
I have searched the archives and spec for this topic, but haven't found
anything other than references to 'progressive rendering'...

I am wondering if there is any support in the current SVG specification (or
in future plans) for streaming SVG animation functionality. By streaming, I
mean SVG data arrives at the SVG player at periodic intervals, and this data
causes the display to be updated. Basically I am interested in the same type
of streaming animation functionality that Flash has.

As I understand 'progressive rendering', parts of the SVG document are
displayed while the rest of the document is downloaded, but I don't know if
'Flash-like' streaming animation could be achieved using this functionality.

Thanks

Mike

Michael Foster  *  PacketVideo  *  (858) 731-5543
foster@pv.com  *  www.packetvideo.com