Re: inconsistency in the Spec?

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Adam Van Den Hoven wrote:

> I was looking at section 5.11 of the SVG Spec which says the following:
>
> float currentScale
> 	This attribute indicates the current scale factor relative to the
> initial view to take into account user "magnification" or "zooming" and
> associated "panning" operations, as described under Magnification, zooming
> and panning <interact.html>. DOM attributes currentScale and
> currentTranslate are equivalent to the 2x3 matrix [a b c d e f] =
> [currentScale 0 0 currentScale currentTranslate.x currentTranslate.y]. If
> "magnification" is enabled (i.e., zoomAndPan="magnify"), then the effect is
> as if an extra transformation were placed at the outermost level on the SVG
> document fragment (i.e., outside the outermost 'svg' <struct.html> element).
> If "zooming" is enabled (i.e., zoomAndPan="zoom"), then the effect is as if
> an extra 'g' <struct.html> element enclosed all of the children and that 'g'
> <struct.html> element specified a transformation to achieve the desired
> zooming effect.
>
> if you go to the Manification, zooming and panning section (16.7) there is
> no mention of zoomAndPan="zoom" nor about any difference between zooming and
> panning. Also, the difference between magnifying and zooming seems to be
> more than a little obscure.

Adam,

The functionality for zooming was removed from SVG during the
Candidate Recommendation period due to implementation feedback.
There is only magnification now, so there should be no
mention of zooming.

If the internal version of the specification still mentions
zooming here, we'll make sure it is removed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dean