RE: How to insert SVG's to a website?

> From:	Matthias Zumstein [SMTP:newzumstein@gmx.de]
>
> is the only way to insert a SVG to a website linking the SVG-file with
> <EMBED>? Because I want to generate dynamically a website with SVG-buttons
> inside
> it. Is it possible to insert the SVG-source code in the website so that
> the
> browser show it correct?
[DJW:]
Embed is a proprietory element. I would hope, in the longer term,
that you could directly include SVG in an XML namespace within an
XHTML document, link to it with A elements, include it as an image with
img elements or include it with fallback to alternative formats
using object elements.

The current situation depends on the browser, because SVG is not
properly implemented in any commercial browser.  You didn't say
which browser or which SVG implementation.  I believe that Amaya
will handle it as an XML namespace, using its native viewer.

Looking at the conformance tests, there appears to be no option
that uses SVG images embedded in HTML, so I suspect that there
is no reliable standards compliant way of doing it with current
big 2 browsers and beta viewers.  (Frames is the nearest option.)

I suspect, unless this is for a closed community, you should be
using object to allow a non-SVG fallback.