Scroll bars optional on the Windows platform? Is this the Microsoft position?

Patrick,

I can fully understand that for the purposes of SVG the meaning of
"scrolling" can be broadened to include "panning". [Your reply is quoted
below.] That doesn't cause me any great concern at present.

However, the more disturbing implication of what you write (and what Jon
Ferraiolo wrote in another post) is that the term "scrolling", for SVG
purposes, while including "panning" can now optionally discard what (at least
on the Windows platform) would be seen as the normative form of scrolling
i.e. scroll bars?

So now, it seems according to the SVG WG, we can have "scroll-free" scrolling?

To quote that great philosopher and erstwhile tennis player, John Patrick
McEnroe, "You _cannot_ be serious". :)

What disturbs me is the possibility that you may actually be serious.

So can you please clarify for me? Is it now the de facto position of
Microsoft that scroll bars are now an _optional_ form of scrolling on the
Windows platform?

Have the millions of Windows users worldwide been made aware of that
(possible) change in user interface?

I would appreciate a clearer understanding of how Microsoft view this issue.
Are Microsoft in the process of abandoning scroll bars?

Thank you for any clarification you can provide. If you are unable to post
directly to the SVG-developers list perhaps you could make that clear and I
can forward your reply to the list. The issue of "scroll-free scrolling" has
caused significant concern there.

Andrew Watt