Re: Font and CSS background

[Sorry for the delayed response, but better late than never???]

I am not aware of a way to accomplish this except using some technique such
as you describe below.

Now I'm going to ramble on about futures.

Support of the various 'background*' properties from CSS seems like
something to consider for a future version of SVG. There are some
complexities that would have to be looked at. For left-to-right text, yes,
you can see pretty clearly how the background properties might apply.
Similar, you could see how the background properties might apply to the
outermost <svg> element (although there is an issue about whether the
background would cover the entire viewport or only the area taken up by the
'svg' element). For other features, things get a little more complicated.
For text-on-a-path, do you put a background behind each character cell, or
do you find the bounding box around all character cells within the text
string? How about a <g> - do you compute the bounding box of all elements
within the <g>?

I'll forward this to the SVG working group so that it will get on the list
for consideration for future versions of SVG.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated