Re: SVG's mertis versus SMIL and Flash5

From: <Philip.Gonzales@dtn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:48:45 -0600
To: Lance Dyas <ldyas@microimages.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

For item #3: Take a look at Flash Generator Developer Edition.  It allows
some pretty low-level programming in JAVA.

I agree that each of these technologies is filling a niche of its own.

  --  Philip G.

                    Lance Dyas
                    <ldyas@microi        To:     TOa2671644@aol.com
                    mages.com>           cc:     www-svg@w3.org
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: SVG's mertis versus SMIL and Flash5
                    11:17 AM

TOa2671644@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone thoughts about the relative merits of the rival technologies:
> SMIL, Flash5? I am interested in expressed views.
> I have written demos using all of these technologies, now, and have found
> following:
> 1. SVG has good interactive features, but limited audio (no streaming)
> security (source code is visible).

This visible source also allows it to be searched and categorized on the

and is considered a feature ;-)

> 3. Flash5 has good security, audio and interactive features, but is
> and is not a programming language, and therefore we are limited to
> developments at Macromedia.

Flash 5s activescript scripting is approaching javascript in form and style
programmability is actually pretty good.