RE: SVG Spec. Suggestions

> From:	Neil Stansbury [SMTP:nstansbury@m85.com]
>
> 3. Similar to the <g> element define a <button> element as follows:
>
> <button type="COO|COCO" (Click On/Off, Click On/Click Off)
> default rect: fill: etc
> StateOver: rect: fill: etc
> StateDown:
> StateRelease: rect:  fill: event:javascript call, etc etc
> StateOut:
> />

	[DJW:]  There's already a button element in HTML,
	albeit in a different namespace and not falling back
	gracefully.  There also seems to be a position that
	all forms functionality should be achieved by escaping
	to other XML namespaces (XHTML + XFORMS).

	However, if you did have this element, it would, I think,
	need to have arbitrary up and down images and therefore
	require sub-elements, not attributes.

	Duplication of active elements with HTML makes it
	difficult to produce documents that degrade gracefully,
	and, unlike Flash, that is a design aim of SVG, albeit
	one that I think will largely be disregarded in practice,
	to the detriment of the web's universality of access.
	Scripting solutions tend to be worse, though.

> I know this can be done with js and css/xsl, however to do the same
> requires far more than five lines of code, and _everybody_ will use
> buttons.  I know the CSS principle is
	[DJW:]

	I do prefer declarative solutions to the security risks
	and complexity (halting problem etc.) implicit in
	scripting.

> This information is intended only for the use of the named
> recipient. Internet communications are not neccesarily
	[DJW:]
	Clearly not true!!  This is a list with an open
	archive!

[DJW:]