RE: SVG - A thought

From: Max Dunn <maxdunn@siliconpublishing.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:58:13 -0800
To: "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@w3.org>, "'Vadim Plessky'" <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Cc: "'David Woolley'" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, <www-svg@w3.org>
> I guess it isn't just Adobe - they have the most heavily promoted
> SVG stuff (plugin, authoring and export in lots of products) as far
> as I can see, but BitFlash, the Apache project, IBM, Sun, Mozilla,
> Corel, Amaya, SodiPodi (another open source project), sketch (and
> another), and others are all producing editors and/or browsers.

It is simply amazing what has been done with SVG so far, see for
and the maps in:
and the fractals at:

> In addition Semantic Web tools such as RDF author and GraphViz
> are generating SVG output - it is useful because it can include
> representations of complex data in ways that are nice for people
> to read, and can include the bits that machines can read and
> process easily.

And the interactivity in the SVG and with the HTML (or ideally XHTML) is
essential to many applications.  See for example:

To date few if any of the interesting things that have been done with
SVG have resembled Flash.

I think for tiny devices a scaled back spec makes sense, but compared to
the size of typical browsers and operating systems of Today there is
nothing bloated about Adobe's SVG Viewer on a PC.

Rather than put a crippled form of SVG in web browsers, perhaps Adobe
should put a rudimentary XHTML browser/XSLT Processor into their SVG