W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-svg@w3.org > December 2001

Re: your mail

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:28:30 +1100
To: Robert DiBlasi <r_diblasi@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, dean@w3c.org, chris@w3c.org, jferraio@adobe.com, www-svg-request@w3c.org
Message-ID: <20011218132830.A15448@grorg.org>
Robert,

Thanks for your detailed request. We will pass it on
to the SVG Working Group to consider for the next
release of the SVG 1.1 specification.

Dean

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Robert DiBlasi wrote:

> Dean and Chris and Jon and W3C,
> 
> I not sure if this falls under editorial or error...but after reading the 
> final SVG 1.0 (and even before it made it to final approval ) ....I think 
> I figured out why I have had so much trouble with the first two paragraphs 
> of the Specification....and am asking for a review by the W3 !!!
> 
> I have put my solution at the Top of this E-mail  because it is kinda 
> long......please read it Dean and Chris and Jon and W3C,.....if you want 
> to understand my suggestion :-)
> 
> SOLUTION:
> In the two paragraphs of the SVG 1.0:
> 
> 1.1 About SVG
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#AboutSVG
> 
> The feature set includes nested transformations, clipping paths, alpha 
> masks, filter effects and template objects.
> 
> "feature set" should have link to:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#RequiredFeaturesAttribute
> 
> SVG drawings can be animated and  be dynamic. Animations can be defined 
> and triggered either declaratively (i.e., by embedding SVG animation 
> elements in SVG content) or via scripting.
> 
> "animated" in the first sentence should be linked to:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#RequiredFeaturesAttribute
> (it would be nice if it linked to the bullet that addressed 
> org.w3c.svg.animation )
> 
> "dynamic in the first sentence should be linked to:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#RequiredFeaturesAttribute
> (it would be nice if it linked to the bullet that addressed 
> org.w3c.svg.dynamic)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ############################
> THE PROBLEM
> ############################
> 
> 1) In second paragraph of SVG 1.0
> 1.1 About SVG
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#AboutSVG
> 
> The last sentence in the paragraph is important:
> <snip>
> The feature set includes nested transformations, clipping paths, alpha 
> masks, filter effects and template objects
> </snip>
> 
> (MY SUGGESTION IS:)
> "feature set " needs to be a link.....I am suggesting to :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#RequiredFeaturesAttribute
> 
> This may not make sense why it needs to be a link at first .....until you 
> read the first and second sentences of third paragraph:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#AboutSVG
> 
> <snip>
> SVG drawings can be interactive and dynamic. Animations can be defined and 
> 
> triggered either declaratively (i.e., by embedding SVG animation elements 
> in SVG content) or via scripting.
> </snip>
> 
> The first sentence seems to make sense until you really read it closely 
> and click the links.....
> 
> first sentence:
> <snip>
> SVG drawings can be interactive and dynamic.
> </snip>
> 
> interactive  links to:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/interact.html
> 
> dynamic links to:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/animate.html
> 
> you say so what ..........I say look at the next sentence :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#AboutSVG
> <snip>
> Animations can be defined and triggered either declaratively (i.e., by 
> embedding SVG animation elements in SVG content) or via scripting.
> </snip>
> 
> The first word of this sentence "Animation" is  links to :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/animate.html
> 
> NOTICE: that "dynamic" in the sentence before........links to the same 
> place as "Animation" in the sentence after...........THIS IS CONFUSING 
> because ...... believe it or not if you follow the link that I suggest 
> "feature set" should have .......you will notice that "dynamic" and  
> "Animation" have totally different meaning in SVG!!!!!!!!!!
> 
> I could give more evidence ...like...out of the 11 chapters "dynamic"  is 
> used in (31 times total) the word "dynamic" is used i only 4 times in 
> reference to "Animation"......and one of this times is the link I am 
> questioning.....so dynamic does not even come close to meaning "animation" 
> 
> in SVG.....I could give more facts ....but I think I have given ample 
> evidence.
> 
>   I  hope you can see I have invested a lot of time in trying to understand 
> this and point out to you that it need to be changed......it is ...in my 
> opinion.........wrong and flawed and as for as I can understand lacking 
> any usefulness in the specification as it is now.
> (this is not a put down on anyone......it has taken me  about 6 months to 
> catch it myself.   SVG 1.0 is an amazing piece of work!!!..... I just want 
> 
> to suggest to the W3C possible misreading of SVG 1.0 and how a little 
> change could help make the specification more useful for developers ...... 
> :-)
> 
>   I have mentioned this before.........when I read technical writing.....I 
> read it literally.......These sentences are at the beginning of the 
> specification....and for me.....are the corner stones for 
> understanding.......I hope you share the concern I have about addressing 
> this issue.....I  am not exaggerating when I say It has taken me 6 months 
> or more to understand why I was confused ....and now I think I know why  
> :-)
> 
> It might be nice to point out the features in a appendix or something like 
> 
> that......but I really think this issue needs to be addressed.
> 
> thank you for your time....sorry for the long message....I just do not 
> know how to say it in a shorter way :-(
> 
> We all learn by sharing what we know
> Robert A. DiBlasi
> www.svgnotebook.com
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com
Received on Monday, 17 December 2001 21:35:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 8 March 2013 15:54:21 GMT