New member & SVG Printing performance

EO> Hello everybody, I'm new in SVG and my work is about printing
EO> performance on the Web via a standard browser.  In the SVG Adobe
EO> Tutorial, I read about printing that "SVG images are capable of
EO> printing at the maximum resolution of any printer". That mean SVG
EO> make possible high-resolution printing. But how ? Is there some
EO> primitives in SVG that request the printer for resolution
EO> capabilities (dpi) and then recalculate the image
EO> printing-optimized ?  Could someone tell me what's about that ?

    Unlike most image formats used on the web, by and large SVG is
resolution independent.  So rather than have an array of pixels which
happen to make up a drawing of a building or a map. An SVG file would
describe a set of filled polygons (or filled cubic splines), perhaps
with more lines/curves on top.

    Since this description can be evaluated at any resolution (limited
only by the precision of floating point math on the system).  You can
use this representation to render a "small" 72dpi version for screen
display or a "large" 1200dpi version for a printer, your lines will
not get "blocky" and your text will not get "blurry".

    Of course since SVG can reference traditional images (like PNG and
JPEG) some SVG content will have all the traditional scaling problems,
but even in these cases if you are smart and use text elements for
text, and the shape elements for things that are really shapes perhaps
in combination with traditional raster elements you should still get
vastly superior output on printers.