Re: [Fwd: [Moderator Action] Reading an SVG file using a standard XML parser]

Chris Lilley forwarded:

> From: "Mikael Sterley" <mikael.sterley@anoto.com>

> I am using the Microsoft "DOMDocument" COM object on Windows to read an SVG
> file. I get an error message on the line containing "<!DOCTYPE svg
> PUBLIC...". If I remove the line everything works perfectly.

This indicates that the XML parser you are using is not retrieving the
external DTD subset. It may be possible to get it to do this, I believe
it is an optional feature of the MS XML parser.

> Does anyone know if the way SVG files use DOCTYPE (by specifying an external
> DTD file) is part of standard XML?

Yes, of course it is! (grin) I suggest that you take a look at the XML
specification to verify this, if you are in any doubt.

> In the XML specifications written by
> Microsoft, only DOCTYPE with inline descriptions is mentioned.

Aha, there is your problem straight away. The XML specification was
written by W3C, not by MSDN ;-) you can find the XML specification here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml

--
Chris