Re: Attribute and SVG object synchronization.

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:33:10 -0700
To: bbrodie@savagesoftware.com (Blaine Brodie)
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

At 09:09 AM 10/26/00 -0700, Blaine Brodie wrote:
>The current SVG specification does not mention this, but I assume that an
>SVGElement's attributes must be synchronized with their corresponding SVG
>objects.  For example, an SVGCircleElement's 'cx' attribute must be
>synchronized with its 'cx' SVGAnimatedLength object.  So, if I perform the
>following calls on SVGCircleElement named 'circle':
>   circle.setAttribute("cx", "100");
>   circle.getCx().getBaseVal().setValue(50);
>then circle.getAttribute("cx") should return '50'.  Right?

Yes. I'll add a clarification to the spec before Proposed Recommendation.

>This leads me into another question regarding outstanding references to
>SVG objects.  What is expected to happen to these references when the
>attribute's string value becomes updated.  Do these objects simply get
>detached from their parent elements or do they get updated with new
>values?  Here's an example:
>   circle.setAttribute("cx", "50");
>   SVGLength length = circle.getCx().getBaseVal(); //got a reference
>   length.getValue(); //returns 50
>   circle.setAttribute("cx", "100"); //set the 'cx' attribute.  Is the
>outstanding 'length' reference updated or detached from its parent element?
>   length.getValue(); //returns '50' or '100'?
>If the objects simply get detached, then the last call would return '50'.
>If outstanding references are updated then the last call would return

It should return '100'. The reference is not detached. It is pointing to
the active part of the document tree. I'll add a clarification to the spec
before Proposed Recommendation.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated