RE: multiple animation-targets etC

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:11:42 -0800 (PST)
To: www-svg@w3.org
Patrick,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Jon, Chris, what are your opinions about that?

Message goes on below ...

[...] constraint
> as you note, for reasons of simplicity in the model.
[multiple animation-targets]
> Nevertheless, I have run across this as well, and
> think it is worth
> considering in a future version of SMIL Animation.

Sounds great!

> This would be achieved by controlling (i.e. pausing
> and resuming) the time
> container for the associated animations. In SVG,
> there are no specified time
> containers as in other SMIL languages.

would be cool though ...

[...]- when paused, the effect of the animation is
> removed. You can work
> around this by just animating the speed to a very
> small value (yes, a hack,
> but workable). I can provide some pointers if you
> are interested.

Thank you very much!
To be honest ... I'd rather go with an elegant
non-hack solution: just "pause" with fill="freeze" or
equiv.

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/smil-animation/
"While this document defines a base set of animation
capabilities, it is assumed that host languages may
build upon the support to define additional or
more specialized animation elements. "

> Not sure what your point is here.

IMHO, the current state of animation in SVG is
unsufficient. It is far from getting complicated; with
the mentioned features, it will still be simple.
The below mentioned and some more in my opinion
represent a minimum of basic requirements for
animation:

*support full Xpointer/Xpath,
*pause, resume/play, go to start,
*short notation to control all ongoing
animations at once: "pause" "play"  "resume"; "reset";
"slomo forward"; "fast forward"; "slomo backward";
"play backwards"; "fast backward"
illustration and tests:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/SVG/test/pause.svg

Tobi