Re: FW: Retrieving mouse event co-ordinates in transformed co-ordina te space.

Alan,

At 04:18 PM 3/15/00 +0000, Alan Kennedy wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I sent the attached message on xml-dev@xml.org, since an SVG thread cropped
>up there, but there seemed to be no interest. I still think this is an
>important point however, although I see that there is an explicit mention in
>the "changes to the March 3rd WD", which states
>
>"Removed ambiguity regarding 'relatedNode' for clientX/clientY on mouse
>events. Now clarifies that the 'relatedNode' is the **outermost** 'svg'
>element, which means clientX/clientY are values in the initial coordinate
>system."
>
>I can't find any discussion of this topic on the public WWW SVG list. Has
>there been any discussion on this topic? Am I wrong in thinking that mouse
>events should be delivered to target objects in co-ordinates they can use
>directly, without further compuation? Are there implementation issues that
>make this difficult or impossible?

Yes. The routines that field the events have no concept of coordinate
system transformations or rendering order or any other SVG-specific event
handling logic. Typically, you get an (x,y) location relative to some
window, where the units are (typically) screen units. There are various
problems that make this messy.

But in recognition that scripters want to work in local user units, there
is a method call on every element that contains a 'transform' attribute:

getTransformToElement

Returns the transformation matrix from the user coordinate system on the
current element (after application of the transform attribute) to the
user coordinate system on element (after application of its transform
attribute).
  Parameters
    in SVGElement element
      The target element.

  Return value
    SVGMatrix
      An SVGMatrix object that defines the transformation.

  Exceptions
    SVGException
      SVG_WRONG_TYPE_ERR: Raised if the target element is of an invalid type.
      SVG_MATRIX_NOT_INVERTABLE: Raised if the currently defined
transformation matrices make it impossible
      to compute the given matrix (e.g., because one of the transformations
is singular).

>I think that if the standard is not changed to deliver co-ordinates in the
>local co-ordinate space, then every programmer will be forced to write a
>piece of code that calculates what the event co-ordinates should be in the
>local space. And the code is far from trivial. And since everyone will have
>done it differently, and potentially wrongly, existing code bases may be a
>barrier to further evolution of the SVG spec.
>
>But I have to say that I think SVG is the best thing since sliced bread, and
>will revolutionize the web, particularly in the areas of data visualization
>and user interfacing. Keep up the great work.

Thanks.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated