Re: comments on Exchange SVG form

From: Christophe Jolif <jolif@ilog.fr>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:20:14 +0100
To: Thierry Kormann <Thierry.Kormann@sophia.inria.fr>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Thierry Kormann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "One of the arguments for final form is that there are some graphics which
> need to be treated as atomic, and not perturbed e.g. by downstream
> application of style rules."
>
> If you need to be sure that the style won't change, you may simply
> create a CSS rule with a selector using a specific ID. The user won't
> be able to change your color or font family.

I disagree. The user will still be able to change the color.

Imagine an author style sheet containing:

#myid { fill:red }  (1)

for an svg document like this:

<svg>
  <rect id="myid" .... />
</svg>

It is still possible to have a blue 'rect' even with the ID selector on
it. For example just by having a user style sheet containing:

svg #myid { fill:blue } (2)

because (1) has a 100 specificity and (2) has a 101 specificity.

It is also certainly possible by using the !important rules which
reverses the user/author style sheet priority...

--
Christophe