Zooming by defining rectangle and changing viewbox atttributes

From: Dany Bouchard <db@dbxgeomatics.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:33:36 -0400
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Following a few examples on this list and in other places, I have tryied to implement custom zooming functions using javascript and the DOM.
I think I am almost there, there is only one problem. When the viewbox of the main svg document is changed (after defining the first rectangle) , the references that I use in javascript to draw the rectangle don't match with the view of the document. How can I ensure that subsequent drawing occurs in the current view of the document ? I think I am forgetting something here ! Hopefully someone can help !
I have placed a version of the svg document at www.dbxgeomatics.com/zoomtest2.svg so that you can see what I am referring to.

Thanks in advance.

Dany Bouchard
DBx Geomatics