Re: svg

Bill,

Both SVG and VML specs are published (via www.w3.org), so no need to try to
explain the tech differences.
SVG is less vendor-dependent let us say. And it is much richer than VML.

As far as cartographic data are concerned, IMHO you should be thinking about the
use of GML (internally) and SVG (visualisation), and therefore be in-line with
emerging specs of the OpenGIS Consortium (www.opengis.org). See also
http://www.geojava.com/Customers/galdos/articles/introduction_to_gml.htm   for
more on GML.

Cheers,