Re: Referencing elements in 'use'

Stepan,

At 11:00 AM 6/14/00 +0100, Stepan Rybar wrote:
>In W3C Working Draft in section about 'use' element is written:
>"Unlike 'image', the 'use' element cannot reference entire files."
>
>Problem: Is it possible to reference part of external file (one of its
>element), not whole external file (entire=whole?)?

Yes. The 'use' element is defined to be able to reference an element within
an external file. This was intended to allow external references into SVG
files that act as symbol libraries.

>E.g. (divided first example of 'use' from W3C Draft):
>
><use x="2cm" y="1cm" xlink:href="use_s.svg#MyRect" />
>
>This does not work on MSIE 5.0 and Adobe SVG Viewer (latest).

No. At this time, the Adobe SVG Viewer does not yet support references to
external files. All references must be to elements within the same file.

>Purpose: I have different source files, each containing group of
>elements. These files are large. Then I want to have several
>relatively small files, which differs only with number of used source
>files (use inside them will serve as #include lib). These files will
>be called by user. All this without interacting with server. This
>approach should reduce total size of application.

Sounds like a good application.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated