svg-20000303-shared.dtd Validity problems, Namespaces

From: Tuttle . Cynthia <CTuttle@drc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:13:44 -0400
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Out of curiosity, I tried checking some svg files for well-formedness and
validity. I'm using the MSXML parser with IE5. I eventually discovered that
this DTD is neither well-formed (according to XML Spy) or valid (according
to both XML Spy and XMLwriter). A result of this problem is that I cannot
validate SVG files that use this DTD.

Check for Well-formedness results in:
	"This file is not well-formed: | expected."
Flagged at the line beginning with "%SylableSVG..." below:
<!--========== Document Structure and Grouping ==========-->

<!ENTITY % svgExt "" >
<!ELEMENT svg (%descTitleDefs;,metadata?,
                   %ceExt;%svgExt;)*) >

Check for Validity results in:
	"Parameter entity must be defined before it is used" Line 244

If I switch to the stylable DTD and validate a SVG file containing a
namespace definition, I get a different error:
	"Attribute xmlns has a value which does not match the fixed value
defined in the DTD/Schema."
This error occurs at the first encounter with the xlmns attribute shown

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM "svg-20000303-stylable.dtd">
<svg width="4in" height="3in"
	<desc>This well formed svg document draws a triangle which is a
	<a xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/2000/xlink/namespace/"
xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="replace" xlink:actuate="onRequest"
		<path d="M 0 0 L 200 0 L 100 200 z"/>