Re: SVG Information Set

Chris Lilley wrote:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
> >
> > Is there a plan to make an SVG information set detailing the important
> > semantic information in an SVG document?
>
> I believe that you may be the first person to have suggested it. Of
> couirse, there will be the XML infoset anyway.... Are you suggesting an SVG
> infoset superclass that inherits from the XML infoset, rather as the SVG
> DOM is a superclass of the XML DOM and CSS OM?

I wouldn't say that SVG needs to inherit from the XML information set.
SVG has a syntactic component (implemented in XML and formally specified
-- as far as possible -- in a schema or DTD) and a semantic component
which is formally specified only in prose around the description of the
syntax. An information set would formalize the semantic portion much as
UML formalizes semantics in object oriented design.

Then you could derive APIs, query languages, addressing syntaxes and
schema languages from the information set. That way you ensure that
APIs, query languages, addressing languages and schema languages are in
sync. The XML DOM was completed before the XML infoset and there are
therefore many nasty incompatibilities between the XML DOM, XPath and
SAX.

Alabama's constitution is 100 years old, 300 pages long and has more
than
600 amendments. Highlights include "Amendment 393: Amendment of
Amendment
No.  351", "Validation of Laws Regulating Court Costs in Randolph
County",
"Miscegenation laws", "Bingo Games in Russell County", "Suppression
of dueling".  - http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ALISHome.html