RE: Text 'width' and 'height'

From: <paolini@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:28:04 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org
cc: Gaetan Frenoy <gaetan.frenoy@aspentech.com>

Hello all,

Thought I'd add my two cents on text width and height to the discussion.
As an implementor of SVG,  it seems to me that making this information
[optionally] available in the file may very well speed rendering  in some
cases (I'm thinking tspans and such), and certainly would make migrating to
SVG from other markup languages a little easier.  The danger of course is
that there may not be a be an exact match on what is rendered and what is
given/expected for a whole host of reasons (font matching comes to mind
here first and foremost)....

Mike Paolini
IBM SVG Team

"A doctor can bury his mistakes, an architect can only advise his client to
plant vines...." -Frank Lloyd Wright

Internet ID: paolini@us.ibm.com
IBM Internal e-mail ID: PAOLINI/Austin/IBM

Gaetan Frenoy <gaetan.frenoy@aspentech.com> on 01/11/2000 03:30:50 AM