Re: SVG DOM factory methods

(It took me awhile to understand this.) Yes, there is a reason.

The Document interface on the Core DOM has a method call:
       createElement(DOMString tagName)

See: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/CR-DOM-Level-2-19991210/core.html#i-Document

Since the SVG DOM sits on top of the Core DOM, this method call is
available by first finding the ownerDocument object. 'ownerDocument' is
available from the SVGElement interface since SVGElement descends from
Element, which descends from Node, which has attribute 'ownerDocument'.

See: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/CR-DOM-Level-2-19991210/core.html#ID-1950641247

The only reason for factory methods in the SVG DOM (or any other language
DOM) is to create objects which are not elements.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated