Re: Stroked textpath with underline, overline and strikethrough attributes

At 07:17 PM 2/23/00 +0100, Thierry Kormann wrote:
>Jon,
>
>> The limitations you are pointing out with underlining apply equally to HTML
>> styled with CSS. There, you have the same limitation of the underline
>> having the same visual characteristics as the text string being underlined.
>> I would argue that extending underlining is more in the domain of the CSS
>> working group than the SVG working group.
>
>I'm not aggree. HTML and CSS does not have the problem because in HTML,
>you are not able to paint the outline of a text. The problem comes from
mixing
>the stroke attribute and a text-decoration. Of course we may have simple or
>more a complex algorithm for the text-decoration. Anyway, mixing stroke
>and text-decoration provide a poor result in my opinion. In fact, I just
would
>like to know if a correct SVG implementation will render the text like me or
>not.

Actually, how to render underlines isn't defined in the SVG specification
and should be. I see two options:

(1) Render the underlines using the value of the 'color' property from CSS
(2) Render the underlines using the various fill/stroke properties from SVG

I think (2) is the better option. I think it is common to want the
underlines to appear in the same color as the text, and the 'fill' property
is the most commonly used way of defining the color on text.

I'll forward this issue to the SVG working group.

Jon