Re: transformations and styles

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:57:59 -0800
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Curt,
A stroke-width of "1" means a single user unit, not a single pixel. The
transformation you show below makes a user unit 100 times larger than
before, so therefore the stroke-width is also 100 times larger.

If you want a stroke-width of 1 pixel no matter what transformations are
applied, then use the "px" unit specifier:

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='no' ?>
<!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM 'svg-19991203.dtd' >
<svg width='700' height='700' >
<g style='fill:none; stroke:blue; stroke-width:1px'>
<path d='M 70 448 80 340'/>
<g transform='scale(100)'>
<path d='M 0.8 3.4 .9 3'/>
</g>
</g>
</svg>

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated

At 10:50 AM 2/14/00 -0700, Arnold, Curt wrote:
>For the following SVG file, I would have assumed that there should have
been a uniform stroke-width of one pixel.  However, both IBM's SVGView and
Adobe's plug in render a one pixel width for the
>first line segment and a 100 pixel width for the second line segment.  I
think the behavior currently exhibited in the Adobe and IBM viewers is
undesireable since it would requires you to reiterate
>the same style after each transformation.  However, there seems to be no
clear description of the proper behavior in the spec.

><?xml version='1.0' standalone='no' ?>
><!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM 'svg-19991203.dtd' >
><svg width='700' height='700' >
><g style='fill:none; stroke:blue; stroke-width:1'>
><path d='M 70 448 80 340'/>
><!--  the scale affects the previously set stroke-width for both Adobe and
IBM SVG View -->