text wrap

From: Pawson, David <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:27:03 -0000
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Newly subscribed, I'm Dave Pawson, AC for RNIB,
and very new to SVG, so please excuse my inexperience.
I'm trying to convert an XML file to (amongst other media),
a graphic format for visual presentation. The DTD is for
a process map, using well known flow-chart type symbols.
I'm using the IBM SVGView v0.3c 12/08/1999.
A need I have recognised very early on is that of wrapping
text within a constrained area, usually a rect.

Since I'm using XSLT to convert to SVG, I have no idea of
the size of the text content of an element, so direct coding
of SVG is not an option.

1. is there any way to do this today?
2. If not, have the group considered adding a 'constrained'
text element / attribute to provide this functionality?

TIA for any help.