Patterns and Clipping

From: Jeff Tupper / Pedagoguery Software Inc <tupper@peda.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:09:38 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org
Could someone please provide me with an example of an SVG graphic
that contains an element filled with a pattern whose elements are not
clipped to the bounds of the pattern tile (by appropriately setting
the "overflow" property)?

I tried with the Adobe SVG browser plug-in (v2 beta) and didn't have much luck.

It seems that this should be possible. Here is a quote from the SVG
specification:

SVG's user agent style sheet sets the 'overflow' property for
'pattern' elements to hidden, which causes a rectangular clipping
path to be created at the bounds of the pattern tile. Unless the
'overflow' property is overridden, any graphics within the pattern
which goes outside of the pattern rectangle will be clipped.