Semantic Markup Reference in 10.1 not Backed up in H2

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:34:22 +0100
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
This appears in section 10.1:

For accessibility reasons, it is recommended that text which is included in
a document have appropriate semantic markup to indicate its function. See
SVG accessibility guidelines <access.html> for more information.

but is not, in my view, backed up by the reference.

I'd understand semantic markup as properly identifying headings,
etc, whereas a reference to MathML is about as close as it gets.