Re: CSIRO SVG Viewer 0.8 (basic colors and linking)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:37:43 +0100
To: KAMTHAN pankaj <kamthan@cs.concordia.ca>
CC: Ross Ackland <Ross.Ackland@act.cmis.CSIRO.AU>, www-svg@w3.org

KAMTHAN pankaj wrote:

> "Colors defined by names should be fine, red, navy, blue, black etc...
> what did you mean by this?"
>
> Yes, they are fine. Sorry about this. I had a file with the colour
> names which had a "--" pair in the comment (so not well-formed) and
> worked fine in another viewer but SVG Viewer complained (and
> rightfully so).

I hope you mailed the maintainer of the other viewer about accepting
not-XML files! Any well-formedness error shall be a fatal error.

> The sample molecule.svg is a nice example. SVG can be quite useful in
> molecular chemistry, particularly in complex cases, such as amino acid
> configurations.

This is the sort of case where some RDF in the <metadata> element
pointing to the various features of interest (such as the four side
chains marked witha green alpha, and the nitrogen substitutioninthe
benzene ring) are of benefit; plus other description, links to other
depictions (eg a smiles string, PDB files, etc) and further information
(UV, IR, NMR spectra, suchlike) make for "more than a pretty picture".

> Any hints on the origins of the example (such as in
> which context has it appeared)?

This is the sort of application where a server-side generator is
excellent. These already exist, usually as interfaces to existing bond
constraint systems, but they then spend half their time rasterising the
image. An SVG-generating example application would be good.

--
Chris