Free color library, useful for SVG implementors

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:04:35 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi SVG-ers,

SVG contains the ability to reference an International XColor Consortium
(ICC) profile for the definition of a colorspace, and to then reference
colors in thatspace. So, display will involve converting these colors
first to the profile connection space (typically CIE XYZ) and then, to
the color space used by the display or printer on which the SVG is being
displayed. I notice that existing SVG implementations tend to skip over
this part ;-) I agree, color management can be complex.

Marti Maria Saguer announced a "free, open source, CMM engine"[1] for
color
management called lcms or 'little cms' in the newsgroup sci.engr.color.

Its free, open source, and has a GNU license. It works only on
Windows/Intel platforms, apparently (but if you are coding on a Mac,
there is already a MacOS CMM engine that you can just use already built
in; plus there is source, so you can port to Unix etc).

I bring it to the attention of SVG developers who might like to rely on
a library written by an expert, rather than code this up themselves.

[1] http://www.abaforum.es/martim/lcms.htm

--
Chris