Re: establishing a new viewport

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:57:45 -0800
To: "Jojada J. Tirtowidjojo" <jojada@csse.monash.edu.au>
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>
At 09:25 AM 11/10/99 +1100, Jojada J. Tirtowidjojo wrote:

> Hi,
>

> 1.        Section 7.6 Establishing a New Viewport: the <svg> .... mentions:
>
> To establish a new viewport, you use the positioning properties from CSS
such
> as left , top , ...
>
> Does this imply that it is the only way we do it ?
>
> or, May we still use the x=, y=, width=, height= attributes for establishing
> a new viewport ?

The reference to the "left", "top", etc. properties is an error in the spec
which was pointed out in an earlier email on the mailing list. The correct
usage is the x,y,width,height attributes.

Once again, sorry for the mistake. It will be fixed in the next draft.

> 2.        If I include an <svg> element inside an SVG document such as:
>
> <svg width= 500 height= 500 viewBox= 0 0 1000 1000 >
>

>         <!-- drawing B goes here -->
>
> </svg>
>
> Will the new viewport s size be determined relatively to the viewBox
space or
> the viewport space of the parent <svg> element ?
>
> Does the answer to this question still apply if I use the x=, y=, width=,
> height= attributes for establishing the new viewport ?

The bounds of the viewport established by the embedded <svg> element will be
(0,0) to (500,500), where these numbers represent current user space
coordinates for the embedded <svg> element.

The viewBox established a new user coordinate system, where each user unit is
one-half the size of a user unit in place before the embedded <svg> was
processed.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated