Overkill

From: JOHN BILLINGSLEY <billings@mail.connect.usq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:54:31 +1000
To: www-svg@w3.org
I wish to use simple graphs in web pages - graphs of dynamic system
For this, the functionality of java.awt.Graphics is sufficient, but
invoking it can be a problem.

My current solution is to include an applet which is 'almost empty'
except that it includes java.awt.  I can then getGraphics and draw on
that space. (I am still looking for an object with Graphics properties
which does not require an applet.)

When I wish to change colour, NS recognises java.awt.Color() while IE
denies all knowledge of java.

To get to the point, SVG seems to be seeking all the functionality of
PostScript.

An agreed specification for a very much simpler plotting engine is
needed right away.