Re: SVG requires a parser in a parser?

From: Craig Brown <cmb@research.canon.com.au>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 99 10:40:56 +1000
To: www-svg@w3.org
I'm new here - but my 2c worth on specifying a style string, rather
than separate attributes (and similiar with paths)

<path closed="true" fill="none" stroke="black" strokeWidth="100">
     <M>10 10</M>
     <L>40 0</L>
     <L>20 20</L>
     <L>0 20</L>
     <L>20 0</L>
</path>

1: Easier to parse
2: Minimal (if any) increase in file size.  The style is smaller.
3: Easier to generate
4: Inheritance makes more sense

The disadvantage in placing more than one piece of data in a string
is large.  It means that the parser cannot generate data structures
easily.  Sure it is possible - but not all that clean.

There are benefits to the approach in the current spec, but in my
opinion, they are not big enough to complicate the grammar.

My biggest complaint though is the complication to the inheritance.
Inheriting parts of an attribute is a little broken and definately
not worth the benefits.

...cmb