SVG comment - inline images?

From: Dave Landers <landers@boulder.vni.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:31:26 -0700
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi,

I may have missed something, but it looks like the <image> element
is set up to XLink to external images.  That is good, but I feel
there should also be some facility for inline (non-external) images.

If images are always separate, then the graphics containing both
images and vector elements will rely on multiple documents, data
streams, files, etc.

I am evaluating SVG with the objective of using it as a graphics
file and interchange format: saving graphics to a file as well as
transmitting them between programs via a data stream.  If I must
save and organize multiple files or transmit multiple, independent
streams, then I have more issues (that are unrelated to the graphics)
than I really care to deal with.

I am thinking that the <image> object should allow inline content
(similar to what is done in PostScript, for example), or maybe it
should be able to reference an inline image that is defined in a
<defs> section.

Thanks.

--
Dave Landers