Re: Comments on XML Schema that would enable validation of SVG paths

Curt,
I don't know enough about current status with XML Schema to have an opinion
on whether XML Schema should have the power to parse lists of values within
attributes. But I would point out that validating an SVG path data string
through XML Schema seems like a difficult exercise for an implementation
that isn't SVG-specific.

SVG's path data has a rather complicated BNF. Anything that attempts to
validate SVG path data basically would need to have a complete BNF
validation capability, which almost means that the tool would be able to
parse almost any language, not just XML. In the specific case of SVG, there
is a special grammar rule which says that each token is greedy -- it
consumes as much of the stream as it can and still match the formulation
for the rule. This greedy rule would also have to be accommodated by XML
Schema.

But even if XML Schema could parse the SVG path data, there are many other
things you would need to do to intelligently determine whether a given SVG
file was correct.

So, I think XML Schema should not worry about piercing into any of SVG's
attributes for the time being.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated
SVG Editor