From: Mark Jordan <mjordan@symbionics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:36:35 +0000
To: www-svg@w3.org
Browsing through the SVG specification, I noted
that z-indexing (or layering) has been omitted.

I believe that this is unwise. Although you can
do without it for rendering, it is extremely
useful for doing computations/manipulations on
a per layer basis.

I read in the specification that the XML working
group thinks it would add too much complexity. I
disagree with this prognosis.

It's going to make it much more difficult for me
to convert my graphcial application's file format
to XML/SVG without it.

Z-order is a basic attribute in 2D drawings. It
should not be omitted.

Best Regards,
Mark Jordan.