Can SVG support simple inline image and imagemask data?

From: Yardumian, Rick <richard.yardumian@cis.canon.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:58:53 -0800
To: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi,

I have some simple (16 x 16 x 1 bit) images that I want to use as fill
patterns. I'm trying to figure out how to embed, that is, place the image
data in an SVG file as opposed to referencing it in a separate file as a PNG
or JPEG image. In PostScript you have the image and imagemask operators that
can take inline image data as HEX characters. Does SVG have a similar
capability or are you forced to place the image data in a separate file as
described by the SVG image element?

Thanks
Rick