Re: due date

mb wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was curious to know when you believed you would have a finalaized the
> process of SVG normalisation, and when we could expect to see the
> standard incorporated into browsers.

We moved to the next stage in that process today.

There is a new draft [1] - the list of changes is at [2] - and the SVG
working Draft is now in last call, which is a four-week period during
which the other working groups whose specs we have referred to check
that we did things OK.

Comments from the public are also invited, and should be sent to
svg-comments@w3.org. Public discussion should continue on this list, and
we are particularly interested in comments from implementors (what was
hard to understand, missing functionality, and so on).

The stage after that is Proposed Recommendation, which is where att 350+
W3C Members have the opportunity to review the work and advise on
whether it should be a W3C Recommendation.

If that all goes well, then we do infact become a W3C Recommendation. At
that point SVG is considered a stable and implementable specification,
and we encourage people to put SVG into shipping products. Hope to see
that around mid October or so.

Having passed to that stage, the SVG WG will then concentrate on
producinga test suite, and tracking implementations as they emerge to
ensure that the spec is being interpreted correctly and that there is
good interoperability. We will also be collecting erratta, of which
which there will inevitably be some.

As to support in browsers, you had better ask them. Customer need is
generally assessed by extrapolating from the number of emails and so on
requesting a particular feature. So send them some mail and let them
know.

I do note with pleasure the increasing number of implementations that
are appearing. If anyone has any more renderers of generators or
converters, please announce them here and I will get them linked into
the public overview page [3].

Hope that answers your question.

[1] http://www.w3.org/1999/08/WD-SVG-19990812/
[2] http://www.w3.org/1999/08/WD-SVG-19990812/changes.html