Re: SVG suggestions (geoinformation)

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

>Michael,
>I'll take a stab at responding to your comments:
>
>At 05:07 PM 8/6/99 +0200, Michael Gould wrote:
>>Some suggestions/questions interesting for the GI (geographical
>>information) community:

That would include me, then.

<snip>
>>3. It would be nice if paths could have "Area" and "Length" read-only
>>properties.
>
>Does "Area" mean "bounding box"? That is, the extent in X and Y for the
>geometry of the path? Exclusive of stroke width?

To us, area is the area inside a shape - in SVG terminology, the area
inside a closed path measured in the user coordinate system.

>What do you mean by "Length"? Distance along the path in the current user
>coordinate system?

Right.

<snip>
>>8. Also nice would be fixed-size bitmaps, for small icons which we do not
>>wish to change as window size (or zoom) increases. An absolute point or
>>align/valign could be specified.
>
>This can be done via clever construction of the document and its various
><g> elements and the order of transform= attributes.
<snip>

Would you like to expand on that?

I thought I could make fixed-size bitmaps by saying e.g. <image
href="example.png" x=12 y=45 width="8px" height="8px">.  Is this not
the case?

--
Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Laser-Scan.