Re: svg plug-ins? No!!!

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:36:11 +0200
To: Michael Gould <gould@inf.uji.es>
CC: Alejandro Fernandez <shomon@softhome.net>, www-svg@w3.org

Michael Gould wrote:

> But a MIME type graphic/svg solves the problem, as soon as the next versions
> (i.e. Explorer 5.01, Nav 4.51) come out. And it is vendor neutral.

      |                 |
      |    image/svg    |
      |                 |

if you please. See the public SVG page:

> I wouldn't want to standardize on Cosmo, just on VRML in general. Same goes
> for SVG.

Thank you, that differentiates the difference between plug-ins and
native support very well.

We have seen this problem already with CGM; as soon as you have an open
standard format, rather than a vendor-specific one, then plug-ins just
don't work anymore. Pages that use plug-ins are specific to a particular
implementation; they are pointing to code, rather than pointing to

> Plug-ins will emerge IF we don't move quickly to get the final SVG
> recommendation approved.

Well, getting it approved is a very quick process; maximum six weeks.
Getting it *designed* is what will take us until August.

> Let me be EMPHATIC about plug-ins: if someone comes to my site to see a
> quick map of Spain, I want to send it straight to them, not ask them to
> download anything extra, or hope they are one of the lucky 77%. If their
> browser can't handle the SVG, then a SMIL <switch> gives them the GIF
> version. Simple.

Yes, glad you picked up on the use of Switch in the latest SVG draft.

> > I'm trying to see the new draft btw, and it's very slow. Is this a w3c
> > problem?
> For some reason their server is caput at the moment.

Oh, completely down now? Well, I am travelling, but I tried it (from the
UK, not the bst connected of places in terms of international
networking) and it worked very snappily. So, please hit reload, it seems
to work now.