svg plug-ins? No!!!

From: Michael Gould <gould@inf.uji.es>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:36:51 +0200
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Dear Chris and rest of the list:

An Infoworld article, just out

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?/features/990412multimedia.
htm

talks about multimedia graphics and states the following:

"This summer, the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format should be finalized,
which will deliver a standard way to deliver interactive Web content using
rich fonts, better typographic controls, and vector graphics through text
files.

The format will require an SVG-specific plug-in to be installed and is being
backed by major Web companies, including both Microsoft and Netscape."

Tell me this isn't so!!! Tell me they just don't get it.

One of the reasons Antonio (www.imapper.com) and I are so gung-ho about
serving maps as SVG is precisely to remove the plug-in from the picture.

The goal continues to be native suport (MIME), right?

Comments (reassuring ones)?

Mike
 Michael Gould
 Departamento de Informatica