Re: Status of XSL and CSS?

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> >
> > > However, CSS (at least CSS1) was created before XML (and therefore slightly
> > > kludgy when it comes to XML?),
> >
> > No, it works fine with XML, but CSS2 works better because the selectors
> > are more flexible. The actual apparatus of both CSS1 and CSS2 works fine
> > with XML, and there are several CSS1 implementations that style XML
> > documents.
>
> I think that that is overstating the case. As near as I can tell CSS has
> no way of allowing authors to choose their own element type names for
> links or graphics.

Correct; and, that is a good thing.

The spec that describes how authors describe links of various types in
their document is XLink, not CSS.

> Unless I am wrong,

Your statement is correct, but the inferences you drew from it are not.

> information owners would have to
> design their document types around CSS

No, not at all.

>  I think that CSS could be an
> excellent language for XML editor stylesheets.

It is already used in at least three WYSIWYG editor products that I am
aware of - Amaya, XMetal and Dreamweaver. The mail/editing component of
Mozilla also promises to do this.

--
Chris