Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]

Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:
> Hmm, I think I agree with you, with a slight amendment.  I believe
> precedence order, from most preferred to least preferred, should go
like
> this:
>
> Inline styles
> author stylesheet
> user stylesheet
> HTML attributes & intrinsic HTML element properties (e.g., BLOCKQUOTE
is
> indented)
>
> The change is where HTML properties are handled WRT user stylesheets.
> This allows the user greater control.

By "intrinsic HTML element properties", do you mean the UA defaults? I
thought these were going to be contained in the default user
stylesheet. In any case, I think I agree with you, with a slight
amendment:

 Inline styles
 author stylesheet
 user stylesheet
 UA defaults (if applicable)
 inline HTML attributes

I don't see this as a problem, because inline HTML attributes only
affect inherited values.

Consider FONT, for example. With this markup:

   <H1><FONT SIZE=24>Here is a headline</FONT></H1>

FONT is a child of H1. H1 font-size is declared in UA defaults or user
stylesheet. With no explicit declaration, FONT will inherit that value.
But an explicit declaration for font-size in FONT will override the
inheritance, even though the relative weight of the declaration is
lowest in the hierarchy.

David Perrell